11 of the 20 IIMs have released their Admission Criteria for 2017-19 session based on CAT 2016 scores.
As we are well aware, admission to the IIMs is a two step process, where the students need to write CAT on December 4, 2016 and then shortlisted students will need to appear for the Personal Interview (PI) and Written Ability Test (WAT) process of the respective IIMs. However, in each of these 2 steps, the short-listing/selection of a student depends on many more parameters that merely CAT score and performance in PI & WAT. The various parameters considered by the IIMs are:
- Academic Performance: Class 10th, 12th and Graduation marks (some IIMs even consider Post Graduation and Professional Qualification)
- Work Experience: Both, duration as well as quality of work experience will be considered. Most of the IIMs give maximum marks for work-ex of around 3 years and some even start reducing the marks for work-ex exceeding 3 years
- Diversity: To encourage more academically and gender-wise diverse batch, IIMs have started giving some weightage to applicants from non-engineering backgrounds and female candidates. Last year, barring IIM Ahmedabad & Shillong and a handful of ultra new IIMs, all IIMs had given some weightage for diversity.
The IIMs may give weightage to one or more of the above mentioned parameters while shortlisting students or while making final selection list or for both. For the exact list of parameters ad the attached weightage, please refer to the table below.
Shortlisted candidates will need to appear for the WAT & PI round of each IIM separately except for the nine New IIMs (Kashipur, Raipur, Ranchi, Rohtak, Trichy and Udaipur, Amritsar, Bodh Gaya, Sambalpur) who have decided to adopt a Common Admission Process (CAP) of WAT & PI to be coordinated this year by IIM Rohtak.
In case any of the older IIMs (Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Calcutta, Indore, Kozhikode and Lucknow) are willing to share their WAT & PI scores with the nine New IIMs, the common candidates who have applied to New IIMs, need not to appear for WAT & PI process separately, else they have to appear. The common candidates will be intimated the names of older IIMs sharing WAT & PI scores with New IIMs in due course of time.
Now let us look at institute wise changes in the admission criteria for 2017-19 batch viz-a-viz 2016-18 batch.
IIM Ahmedabad: This year the IIM-A officials have reduced their minimum CAT cutoff under all the categories to shortlist students for their PGP selection process. The overall CAT cutoff required for a general category student to get shortlisted has been reduced to 80 from last years’ 90 percentile for general category and to 70, 60, 75, and 70 percentile for Scheduled Castes (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), Non-creamy Other Backward Castes (NC-OBC) and Persons with disabilities (PWD) respectively.
Another big change in the reduction in weightage of CAT Score (from 35% to 28%) and Academic Performance (from 15% to 12%) in the final selection list and increase in weightage of Interview (from 40% to 50%).
IIM Bangalore: IIMB has increased the weightage to CAT score to 40% from 20% kast year. Also the weightage for Academic Performance has gone up from 40% to 50% with 10th, 12th and Graduation having weightage of 20%, 10% and 20% respectively as against 15%, 10% and 15% last year.
Another change in the final selection list is increase in weightage of interview from 20% to 30% and decrease in weightage of WAT from 10% to 15%.
IIM Calcutta: IIMC has decided to reduce the weightage on CAT and instead give more weightage to 10th and 12th Hence, CAT weightage has come down from 67% to 56% while 10th and 12th marks weightage has gone up from 15% each to 2% each.
Another change in the final selection list is decrease in weightage of CAT score from 35% to 30% and increase in weightage of PI from 44% to 48%.
- IIM Lucknow: The weightage to CAT score has drastically reduced from 76% to 60^% this time while weightage for Academic Performance (12th & Graduation) has doubled to 20% from 10% last year. Weightage for work-ex also has jumped to 10% from 4% last year.
- IIM Kozhikode: IIMK surprisingly has gone the other way. While there is no change in the shortlist criteria, in the final selection list the weightage of CAT score has been increased from 35% TO 45% and that of Interview has been reduced from 45% to 35%.
- IIM Indore: IIMI has made negligible change in the shortlist criteria, but there is a major modification in the final selection list. While CAT score had no weightage in the final merit list last year, it has been assigned a weightage of 20%. The weightage of 10th and 12th marks have been dropped from 17.5% each to 10% each while the weightage of 15% to graduation marks has been scrapped completely. Also, the weightage form WAT and PI have been increased from 15% and 35% respectively to 20% and 40%.
- IIM Rohtak: IIM Rohtak has done some major overhauling in its weighatges of selection parameters. The major ones among them are the reduction in Academic Performance weightage to 15% from close to 25 last year and increase in Diversity factor weightage to 25% from 10% last year.
Another change in the final selection list is decrease in weightage of CAT score from 50% to 40% and increase in combined weightage of Academic Performance and work-ex from 20% to 30%.
There is no change in the Admission Criteria of Raipur, Trichy, Udaipur and Bodh Gaya. Other IIMs are yet to release their Admission Criteria for 2017-19.
|Overall CAT Score (A)||80||85||90||90||85||85||90||90||85||90||90||90||90||90||90||90||80||80||90||90||95.6||80|
|VA & RC||70||80||80||85||80||80||80||80||70||80||80||80||80||80||80||80||80||75||75||80||80||70||75|
|DI & LR||70||80||80||85||80||80||80||80||70||80||80||80||80||80||80||80||80||75||75||80||80||70||75|
|VA & RC||14||50|
|DI & LR||16||50|
|Total Marks (B)||100||100||100||100||100||100||100||100||100||600||100||100||100||100||100||100||100||100||100||100||100||100||50|
|CAT Score (A)||28||25||30||30||35||30||35||20||30||40||30||20||32||42||50||55||15||40||20||50||40||80|
|Total marks (B)|
|Written Ability Test||10||10||10||10||10||10||20||30||10||20||10||10||15||6||5||50||15||15|